TV scores: Austria; Chicagoland; F1, NASCAR midseason averages
NASCAR’s swap to NBC Sports activities obtained off to a quiet begin after struggling by way of a three-hour rain delay for the NBCSN telecast of the Monster Vitality Cup Sequence race at Chicagoland. The occasion averaged a 1.42 ranking and a pair of.Four million family viewers. That’s down from a 1.58/2.5m final yr on the identical community.
Chicagoland’s first NASCAR Xfinity Sequence race of the yr on NBC Sports activities was additionally down, averaging a 0.58/913,000 viewers on Saturday afternoon, in contrast with a 0.66/1.1m final yr.
On a extra optimistic notice, FOX Sports activities revealed that its half of the 2019 Cup Sequence averaged 4,076,000 viewers, up +2% from final yr’s 3,980,000, excluding weather-impacted races each years, and had a internet ranking improve of three% over final yr (2.44 vs. 2.37).
Amongst 11 FOX Sports activities 2019 races straight corresponding to 2018 occasions, six scored viewership will increase. The highest 5 markets for FOX Sports activities this yr had been Greensboro, N.C., Greenville, S.C., Richmond, Va., Charlotte and Indianapolis.
Different notes from FOX Sports activities’ NASCAR protection included:
- Cup Sequence common minute viewers (AMA) streaming per race for the 2019 season was up 37% over 2018
- The 2019 Daytona 500 was most-streamed FOX NASCAR occasion ever (53,000 AMA, +10% over 2018 Daytona)
- Two million followers streamed NASCAR programming on FOX Sports activities platforms in 2019, up +79% year-over-year
- 177 million video views of FOX NASCAR content material had been considered throughout social media platforms, up +51% year-over-year
- Including collectively streaming and social, 380 million digital consumption minutes had been recorded for NASCAR content material throughout FOX properties, up +80% year-over-year
NASCAR’s Gander Outside Truck Sequence stays on FOX Sports activities for the entire season, and Friday night time’s race from Chicagoland on FS1 averaged an 0.22 ranking and averaged 330,000 viewers.
The reside telecast of final Sunday’s Austrian Grand Prix on ESPN2 averaged a 0.41 ranking and averaged 640,000 viewers. That viewers was up 48 p.c over ESPN2’s telecast final yr (0.29/431,000 common) and up 94 p.c from the 2017 telecast on CNBC (330,000 viewers). This yr’s viewers was the biggest U.S. tv viewership for the occasion because it returned to the F1 schedule in 1997. Based on ESPN, this marks the seventh time in 9 F1 races this yr that viewership has grown year-over-year, and is second-largest year-over-year development for a race this season.
By 9 races, F1 is averaging 684,000 viewers per race on all ESPN networks, a rise of 21 p.c over final yr (567,000) and up 18 p.c over NBC networks in 2017 (579,000).