Sunday at Sebring caps 2020 Tremendous Tour begin
Picture: Jim Drago introduced residence a Spec Miata victory Sunday in a hard-fought race at Sebring Worldwide Raceway.
The Hoosier Racing Tire SCCA Tremendous Tour wrapped on Sunday from Sebring Worldwide Raceway. Hosted by the Central Florida Area, every of the seven race teams ran 14 lap (or 35-minute, whichever got here first) races.
Prime Billing: The Spec Miata class was as much as its previous tips on Sunday at Sebring, the thrilling 10-lap race that includes drama, heartbreak and a few excellent driving.
Within the opening laps, Preston Pardus, Tyler Gonzalez, Jim Drago and Michael Carter gapped the remainder of the 52-car discipline, however a full course warning on Lap 6 erased it. The fearsome foursome rapidly pulled away from the sector on the restart, nonetheless, and seemed poised to settle the rostrum amongst themselves.
Seeking to set the tempo because the laps wound down, Pardus, Gonzalez and Carter rode three-wide via Flip 1, with Carter on the within and Gonzalez the center. Pardus, out of room on the surface, and Gonzalez touched and pushed Carter off to the within and into the guardrail.
Drago’s No. 2 East Avenue Racing Mazda Miata was there to choose up the items, ran previous Gonzalez underneath the bridge and was subsequent to Pardus coming into the hairpin when each obtained onto the brakes.
“(Tyler and Preston) have been so certain up into the carousel that I obtained a very good run behind them,” Drago stated. “I didn’t wish to push Tyler, so I needed to go far left. After we obtained down into the hairpin, I used to be huge left and Preston was huge proper and we have been each wanting within the mirrors to see the place Tyler was and if he was happening the center. We each went to shut the hole and touched wheels, and it pushed Preston off.”
A ultimate yellow ended the race with Drago in entrance, Gonzalez second, and Elivan Goulart in third. Pardus collected himself after operating into the grass, however completed fifth.
Method Enjoyable: A five-car pack in Method F and a two-car battle in Method 500 opened Sunday morning at Sebring, with each races coming right down to the final lap.
4 drivers led in Method F, with Mac Clark’s No. 64 Britain West Motorsport Mygale SJ2013/Honda taking the highest spot on the finish. Saturday winner Dylan Christie, Maxwell Esterson and Rob Radmann additionally led laps, with David Livingston, Jr. within the combine, too.
“That was a loopy race,” Clark stated. “We had a five-car prepare going, and that was probably the most enjoyable I’ve had in a very long time.”
Teammates Russell Strate and Jack Walbran swapped the lead in Method 500, with Walbran’s No. 67 Mitchell Racing Providers Scorpion/Rotax popping out on high.
“We carried two automobiles to the tip as shut as we could possibly be,” Walbran stated after the race.
Inside and Out: Central Florida Area and Runoffs paddock marshal extraordinaire Charlie Leonard is aware of each sq. inch of the grass and pavement at Sebring Worldwide Raceway. He additionally is aware of the racetrack fairly nicely, apparently.
Leonard led flag-to-flag in GT-Lite, however spent the complete 14 laps of the race being pushed by Paul Mevoli in a Nissan Sentra. Leonard obtained the soar at the beginning after which fought his manner across the observe for a 0.632-second win within the No. 14 JB Racing/Goodyear Tires Nissan 200SX.
“I used to be fortunate to get out in entrance of him,” Leonard stated. “I feel I’ll have minimize him off at the beginning, however it wasn’t intentional. It was only a nice race. The automobile dealt with rather well the entire time. It was simply superb.”
Splash and Go:
– Ken Kannard drove his No. 51 Northwest Cable Building/Hoosier Racing Tire/G-Loc Brakes Mazda Miata to a win in F Manufacturing. Initially from Wisconsin, Kannard now lists Sebring as his hometown.
– Tim Kezman gained the unofficial Fall-Line Motorsports duel in Touring 2 over Mark Boden. Kezman’s No. 144 Fall-Line Porsche 911 caught visitors on the proper time to tug away close to the end.
– Brian Schofield’s No. 61 PM Racing Spec Racer Ford was greater than two seconds forward of second place on the end for the SRF Gen Three victory.
– Tray Ayres’ protection of the Prototype 2 Nationwide Championship started with a two-race sweep at Sebring within the No. 7 Mazda/Ayres Racing/Comprent Van Diemen ESR/Mazda.
– Hartley MacDonald swept the Method X weekend within the No. 27 Florida RV Gross sales and Service Mazda MZR. The open-wheel class is a touchdown spot for quite a lot of automobiles. MacDonald’s is a pro-series USF2000 machine.
– Jonathan Begin prevented Tim Kezman from a double win weekend, taking the GT-2 victory within the No. 151 Kalin Building/Hoosier Dodge Viper.
Straight from the Horse’s Mouth: Hear instantly from the race winners themselves from the Hoosier Racing Tire SCCA Tremendous Tour from Sebring. Video interviews may be discovered at https://www.scca.com/articles/2013348-20-hoosier-super-tour-sebring-winner-videos.
Off to COTA: The Hoosier Racing Tire SCCA Tremendous Tour is again in motion in lower than a month, working its manner throughout the nation to Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Texas, Feb. 8-9, hosted by Lone Star Area.
Sunday Winners: Provisional race outcomes from Sunday’s Hoosier Tremendous Tour at Sebring Worldwide Raceway with Class: Title; Hometown; Area; Automobile observe.
– American Sedan: Scott Sanda; Western Springs, IL; Chicago Area; Cadillac CTS-V
– B-Spec: Joe Gersch; Conroe, TX; Houston Area; Toyota Yaris
– E Manufacturing: Kip Van Steenburg; New Smyrna Seashore, FL; Central Florida Area; Porsche 944
– F Manufacturing: Ken Kannard; Sebring, FL; Atlanta Area; Mazda Miata
– H Manufacturing: Tim Pitts; Louisville, TN; Atlanta Area; Volkswagen Golf
– Method 500: Jack Walbran; St. Louis, MO; St. Louis Area; Scorpion S1/Rotax
– Method Atlantic: Michael Jacques; Derry, NH; New England Area; Swift 016/Mazda
– Method Continental: Robert Allaer; Grosse Pte. Woods, MI; Central Florida Area; Van Diemen/Ford
– Method Enterprises 2: Paul Schneider; Charlotte, NC; Central Carolinas Area; Method Enterprises/Mazda
– Method F: Mac Clark; Campbelleville, ON; Western New York Area; Mygale SJ2013/Honda
– Method Vee: Stevan Davis; Danielsville, GA; Atlanta Area; Vortech/Volkswagen
– Method X: Hartley MacDonald; Mulberry, FL; Florida Area; Mazda MZR
– GT-1: Claudio Burtin; Alpharetta, GA; Atlanta Area; Chevrolet Camaro
– GT-2: Jonathan Begin; Caledonia, MI; Milwaukee Area; Dodge Viper
– GT-3: Jeff Dernehl; Roswell, GA; Atlanta Area; Mazda RX-7
– GT-X: Dean Copeland; Stevensville, MD; Washington DC Area; Hyundai Veloster
– GT-Lite: Charles Leonard; Palmetto, FL; Central Florida Area; Nissan 200SX
– Prototype 1: Todd Vanacore; Ormond Seashore, FL; Central Florida Area; Elan DP02
– Prototype 2: Tray Ayres; Gainesville, GA; Atlanta Area; Van Dieman/Mazda
– Prototype X: Jacek Mucha; Highland Seashore, FL; Florida Area; Oreca IMCP
– Spec Miata: Jim Drago; Memphis, TN; Mid-South Area; Mazda Miata
– Spec Racer Ford 3: Brian Schofield; Lakeland, FL; Central Florida Area; SRF3
– Tremendous Touring Lite: Danny Steyn; Ft. Lauderdale, FL; Florida Area; Mazda MX-5
– Tremendous Touring Below: Paul Azan; Miami, FL; Florida Area; BMW 330
– Touring 1: Mark Boden; Buffalo Grove, IL; Chicago Area; BMW M3
– Touring 2: Tim Kezman; Franksville, WI; Milwaukee Area; Porsche 911
– Touring 3: Selin Rollan; Miami, FL; Florida Area; Mazda MX-5
– Touring 4: Michael Borden; Greenfield, WI; Milwaukee Area; Mazda MX-5