Reddick clinches back-to-back Xfinity titles with Homestead win
Together with his girlfriend anticipating a child, Tyler Reddick confessed on Thursday that he had practiced altering diapers on a pet cat.
Now, after successful Saturday’s Ford EcoBoost 300 and his second straight NASCAR Xfinity Collection championship at Homestead-Miami Speedway, Reddick will get to call the infant.
Ending 1.038 seconds forward of hard-charging Cole Custer, Reddick is the one driver to win consecutive titles within the sequence for 2 completely different automobile house owners. The 23-year-old from Corning, Calif., received his first championship for JR Motorsports final yr.
After switching rides to Richard Childress Racing, Reddick celebrated the organizations 50th anniversary by delivering his second straight title to group proprietor Richard Childress — the crowning achievement of a season through which Reddick collected a career-best six victories.
“It’s about this race group, man, and I used to be simply honored to pilot this Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet,” Reddick stated. “I’m dropping my breath — I’m that excited. This one means a lot extra. It was only a lot higher yr, and it was actually cool to go back-to-back.”
In successful for the second time at Homestead-Miami, Reddick was as soon as once more the quintessential rim rider, working inside inches of the fence as he, Custer and fifth-place finisher Christopher Bell battled for the lead early within the closing 79-lap green-flag run.
And now he can title his yet-to-be-born son “Beau,” underneath an settlement he made with girlfriend, Alexa De Leon, earlier than the championship weekend. De Leon had one other title in thoughts however agreed to let Reddick have his selection if he received the title.
Reddick had been so profitable working the highest lane in 2018 that Custer studied his in-car video earlier than the race — however to no avail.
“Tyler — he can rip the highest right here,” Custer acknowledged after the race. “That’s about all you’ll be able to say about it.”
After the highest two drivers separated from Bell on Lap 167, Reddick closed on Custer till he reached his rear bumper. On Lap 182, Reddick dived to the within into Flip 1 and slid up in entrance of Custer’s No. 00 Ford. Custer obtained the lead again briefly into Flip Three on the identical lap, however Reddick crossed over and cleared Custer for good off Flip 4.
Establishing the successful go. Picture by Levitt/LAT
In making an attempt to catch the No. 2 Chevrolet, Custer scraped the wall within the closing laps.
“I may sort of match his lap time there and studied his in-car all the best way coming right here making an attempt to determine learn how to run the highest higher,” Custer stated. “I obtained shut. I attempted to discover a solution to shut the hole once I was behind, and tried too arduous and obtained into the fence.
“It sucks to return house second two years in a row, (however) we’ll take it. We had been quite a bit nearer this yr.”
Reddick, Custer and Bell all will graduate to the Monster Vitality NASCAR Cup Collection subsequent yr — Reddick with RCR, Custer with Stewart-Haas Racing and Bell with Leavine Household Racing. However Reddick is the one one who will accomplish that with an Xfinity title.
Chase Briscoe and Noah Gragson ran third and fourth, respectively, forward of Bell, who claimed third place within the closing standings behind the race winner and runner-up.
Regardless of lacking pit street on his first try at a green-flag pit cease on Lap 159, Bell grabbed the lead on new tires by pitting three laps earlier than Reddick and Custer. However the two chasers quickly ran him down in an exciting three-way battle for the highest spot.
By the point Reddick took the checkered flag, Bell was 17 seconds in arrears.
“We simply had nice pit stops,” stated Bell, who got here to Homestead final yr because the championship favourite and completed fourth. “Our pit stops would enable us to rise up entrance, after which we’d keep till we began falling off, after which they might drive by me. For some cause, simply can’t hit on what I want to have the ability to get round this place for a 30- or 40-lap run.”
A late brush with the wall and ensuing flat tire relegated Championship Four contender Justin Allgaier to a 14th-place end.
NASCAR Xfinity Collection Race – 25th Annual Ford EcoBoost 300
Saturday, November 16, 2019
- (1) Tyler Reddick (P), Chevrolet, 200.
- (2) Cole Custer (P), Ford, 200.
- (5) Chase Briscoe #, Ford, 200.
- (10) Noah Gragson #, Chevrolet, 200.
- (7) Christopher Bell (P), Toyota, 200.
- (6) John Hunter Nemechek #, Chevrolet, 200.
- (3) Austin Cindric, Ford, 200.
- (4) Brandon Jones, Toyota, 200.
- (18) Jeb Burton, Chevrolet, 199.
- (9) Harrison Burton(i), Toyota, 199.
- (20) Michael Annett, Chevrolet, 199.
- (14) Ryan Sieg, Chevrolet, 199.
- (23) Brandon Brown #, Chevrolet, 199.
- (16) Justin Allgaier (P), Chevrolet, 199.
- (13) Landon Cassill, Chevrolet, 199.
- (11) Jeremy Clements, Chevrolet, 198.
- (26) Grey Gaulding, Chevrolet, 198.
- (17) Alex Labbe, Chevrolet, 198.
- (22) Josh Williams, Chevrolet, 198.
- (12) BJ McLeod, Chevrolet, 198.
- (15) Colin Garrett, Toyota, 198.
- (32) Will Rodgers, Chevrolet, 197.
- (25) David Starr, Chevrolet, 196.
- (21) Stephen Leicht, Chevrolet, 195.
- (36) Ja Junior Avila, Chevrolet, 195.
- (37) Vinnie Miller, Chevrolet, 193.
- (35) Joey Gase, Toyota, 193.
- (33) Robby Lyons II(i), Chevrolet, 192.
- (38) Joe Nemechek(i), Chevrolet, 192.
- (28) Matt Mills, Chevrolet, Clutch, 141.
- (27) CJ McLaughlin, Chevrolet, Vibration, 131.
- (31) Garrett Smithley, Chevrolet, Oil Line, 112.
- (8) Justin Haley #, Chevrolet, DVP, 95.
- (24) Timmy Hill, Toyota, Brakes, 57.
- (29) Chad Finchum, Toyota, Engine, 53.
- (19) JJ Yeley, Chevrolet, Suspension, 20.
- (34) Tyler Matthews, Chevrolet, Accident, 14.
- (30) Ray Black II, Chevrolet, Engine, 4.
Common Velocity of Race Winner: 118.564 mph.
Time of Race: 2 Hrs, 31 Minutes, 49 Secs. Margin of Victory: 1.038 Seconds.
Warning Flags: 7 for 35 laps.
Lead Modifications: 15 amongst 6 drivers.
Lap Leaders: T. Reddick (P) 1-33;C. Bell (P) 34-37;N. Gragson # 38-39;C. Briscoe # 40-53;A. Cindric 54-92;C. Bell (P) 93-96;N. Gragson # 97-104;T. Reddick (P) 105-124;C. Bell (P) 125-128;T. Reddick (P) 129;C. Bell (P) 130-152;T. Reddick (P) 153-163;A. Cindric 164;C. Bell (P) 165-166;C. Custer (P) 167-181;T. Reddick (P) 182-200.
Leaders Abstract (Driver, Occasions Lead, Laps Led): Tyler Reddick (P) 5 instances for 84 laps; Austin Cindric 2 instances for 40 laps; Christopher Bell (P) 5 instances for 37 laps; Cole Custer (P) 1 time for 15 laps; Chase Briscoe # 1 time for 14 laps; Noah Gragson # 2 instances for 10 laps.
Stage #1 Prime Ten: 98,00,11,2,23,19,8,51,22,36
Stage #2 Prime Ten: 22,20,7,2,98,9,23,1,18,11