Lessard will get first Vans win in Talladega elimination race
In a wild two-lap shootout that ended prematurely with a multicar wreck close to the doorway to Flip 3, 19-year-old Canadian Raphael Lessard earned his first NASCAR Gander RV & Open air Truck Sequence victory in Saturday’s Chevrolet Silverado 250 at Talladega Superspeedway.
Lessard had nosed forward of runner-up Trevor Bayne whereas Stewart Friesen’s Chevrolet spun into the surface backstretch wall on the ultimate lap, inflicting the warning that froze the sector. The yellow made a winner of Lessard, however what was euphoria for one Kyle Busch Motorsports driver was heartbreak for one more.
With playoff spots within the elimination race nonetheless on the road for the ultimate restart on Lap 93 of 94 on the 2.66-mile superspeedway, Christian Eckes was a sufferer of the ultimate wreck that additionally left playoff driver Austin Hill hustling out of his No. 16 Toyota, which sat on the apron with flames capturing from beneath the hood.
With the Spherical of 10 accomplished, Eckes was eradicated by eight factors, as Tyler Ankrum – one other sufferer of the last-lap wreck – superior to the Spherical of 8 within the playoff by that margin. Hill already had secured a spot within the subsequent spherical with final weekend’s win at Las Vegas.
These two drivers are joined by Sheldon Creed (twelfth Saturday), Ben Rhodes (fourth), Brett Moffitt (seventh), Matt Crafton (eighth), Grant Enfinger (thirteenth) and Zane Smith (thirty third). Crafton took the inexperienced flag on the ultimate restart beneath the Playoff reduce line however averted the ultimate wreck to complete the day fifth within the playoff standings.
However the huge winner was Lessard, who didn’t qualify for the playoff however earned a major comfort prize on Saturday, with a robust push from Rhodes.
“Oh, my gosh, that was superior,” stated Lessard, who moved to Mooresville, N.C., from Quebec this yr. “To start with, I simply wish to thank everybody at house, my staff—Kyle Busch Motorsports. I can’t consider it. It’s simply my second superspeedway race.
“To get my first Truck Sequence win right here is wonderful. I don’t know who was behind me, however he gave me a heck of a push. I can’t thank him sufficient. He pushed me as onerous as he might, and I used to be simply alongside for the experience.
“The warning got here out on the proper time. I’m so comfortable. I bought to do a burnout after the win. I’m hoping I can do some extra.”
Smith averted elimination regardless of being swept up in an 11-car wreck on Lap 13. He spent the remainder of the race ready anxiously to study whether or not he would advance to the Spherical of 8.
“It sucks, for certain,” Smith stated after the accident. “They simply stored getting bunched up. My teammate (Chase Purdy) bought all out of form, and I used to be simply form of an harmless bystander.”
Additionally exiting the playoff was Todd Gilliland, whose No. 38 Entrance Row Motorsports Ford retired from the race after 47 laps due to engine points. Gilliland had completed second in Stage 1 (received by Hill) and seventh in Stage 2 (received by Derek Kraus) earlier than the mechanical failure.
Chandler Smith ran third, giving non-playoff drivers the highest three positions. Rhodes was fourth, adopted by Codie Rohrbaugh, Jordan Anderson, Moffitt, Crafton, Kaz Grala and Kraus.
NASCAR Gander RV & Open air Truck Sequence Race – fifteenth Annual Chevrolet Silverado 250
Saturday, October 3, 2020
- (15) Raphael Lessard #, Toyota, 94.
- (25) Trevor Bayne, Chevrolet, 94.
- (5) Chandler Smith, Toyota, 94.
- (11) Ben Rhodes (P), Ford, 94.
- (34) Codie Rohrbaugh, Chevrolet, 94.
- (26) Jordan Anderson, Chevrolet, 94.
- (8) Brett Moffitt (P), Chevrolet, 94.
- (7) Matt Crafton (P), Ford, 94.
- (28) Kaz Grala(i), Chevrolet, 94.
- (17) Derek Kraus #, Toyota, 94.
- (14) Johnny Sauter, Ford, 94.
- (1) Sheldon Creed (P), Chevrolet, 94.
- (4) Grant Enfinger (P), Ford, 94.
- (22) Clay Greenfield, Toyota, 94.
- (21) Bayley Currey, Chevrolet, 94.
- (9) Tyler Ankrum (P), Chevrolet, 94.
- (13) Stewart Friesen, Toyota, 94.
- (6) Christian Eckes # (P), Toyota, Accident, 93.
- (2) Austin Hill (P), Toyota, Accident, 93.
- (19) Austin Wayne Self, Chevrolet, 93.
- (38) Bryan Dauzat, Chevrolet, 93.
- (36) Norm Benning, Chevrolet, 93.
- (32) Josh Reaume, Toyota, 93.
- (31) Jennifer Jo Cobb, Chevrolet, 92.
- (30) Jason White, Toyota, 92.
- (37) Robby Lyons(i), Chevrolet, 92.
- (27) Ray Ciccarelli, Chevrolet, 88.
- (10) Todd Gilliland (P), Ford, Engine, 47.
- (12) Tanner Grey #, Ford, Accident, 47.
- (23) Gus Dean, Chevrolet, Accident, 36.
- (16) Tate Fogleman #, Chevrolet, Accident, 19.
- (18) Chase Purdy, Chevrolet, Accident, 12.
- (3) Zane Smith # (P), Chevrolet, Accident, 12.
- (20) Danny Bohn, Toyota, Accident, 12.
- (33) Dawson Cram, Chevrolet, Accident, 12.
- (29) Korbin Forrister, Ford, Accident, 12.
- (35) Joe Nemechek, Ford, Accident, 12.
- (24) Spencer Boyd, Chevrolet, Accident, 12.
Common Velocity of Race Winner: 129.424 mph.
Time of Race: 1 Hrs, 55 Minutes, 55 Secs. Margin of Victory: Below Warning Seconds.
Warning Flags: 5 for twenty-four laps.
Lead Adjustments: 14 amongst 10 drivers.
Lap Leaders: S. Creed (P) 1;A. Hill (P) 2;S. Creed (P) 3-4;A. Hill (P) 5-12;C. Eckes # (P) 13-18;S. Creed (P) 19;A. Hill (P) 20-21;D. Kraus # 22-40;C. Smith 41;B. Moffitt (P) 42-54;J. Sauter 55-65;J. Cobb 66-81;S. Creed (P) 82-87;S. Friesen 88-93;R. Lessard # 94.
Leaders Abstract (Driver, Instances Lead, Laps Led): Derek Kraus # 1 time for 19 laps; Jennifer Jo Cobb 1 time for 16 laps; Brett Moffitt (P) 1 time for 13 laps; Johnny Sauter 1 time for 11 laps; Austin Hill (P) 3 instances for 11 laps; Sheldon Creed (P) 4 instances for 10 laps; Christian Eckes # (P) 1 time for six laps; Stewart Friesen 1 time for six laps; Raphael Lessard # 1 time for 1 lap; Chandler Smith 1 time for 1 lap.
Stage #1 High Ten: 16,38,18,2,99,51,56,26,23,19
Stage #2 High Ten: 19,13,51,16,23,99,38,2,26,88