IMSA reveals 2021 WeatherTech Championship calendar
IMSA has scheduled 12 weekends of WeatherTech SportsCar Championship racing for 2021 with a customary begin in Florida and end in Georgia.
Following a compressed and extremely modified 2020 calendar because of the arrival of COVID-19, IMSA’s WeatherTech Championship plans for subsequent yr communicate to expectations for a return to normalcy. One vital change for 2021 entails the inclusion of LMP3 within the WeatherTech Championship, increasing its roster of courses to 5 as IMSA hopes so as to add extra automobiles to its grid.
DPi, GT Le Mans, and GT Daytona have 10 rounds to contest; LMP2 and LMP3 are set for six. The WeatherTech Dash Cup for GTD entries includes eight races, and the Michelin Endurance Cup, reserved for the 4 longest races, continued unchanged.
Beginning with the newly condensed back-to-back orchestrations at Daytona Worldwide Speedway, the Roar Earlier than The 24 shall be held on January 22-24, and transfer immediately into the Jan 28-31 Rolex 24 At Daytona. The rest of the schedule ought to be a well-known sight to IMSA groups and followers.
Rumors of serious curiosity between the collection and Barber Motorsports Park, together with the will expressed by Roger Penske for extra endurance racing to be held at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, gave rise to hypothesis the brand new calendar may supply elevated selection. Nonetheless, all the tracks listed on the 2021 schedule are carried over from current years. Though the upcoming go to to the Roval in Charlotte was considered a candidate for a return in 2021, it too didn’t make the listing.
The one unanswered merchandise on IMSA’s upcoming WeatherTech Championship calendar is present in June, the place a TBA is listed. Based mostly on earlier schedules, the vacant slot between Mid-Ohio and Watkins Glen would recommend Belle Isle in Detroit would play host to the collection. Promoted by Roger Penske together with his headlining NTT IndyCar Collection, a affirmation of IMSA’s inclusion at Belle Isle could be anticipated as soon as the open-wheel collection pronounces its 2021 calendar.
2021 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship
- Roar Earlier than The 24, January 22-24
- Rolex 24 At Daytona January 28-31 (DPi, GTLM, GTD; LMP2, LMP3 non-points)
- Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, March 17-20 (DPi, GTLM, GTD, LMP2, LMP3)
- Lengthy Seashore Grand Prix, April 16-17 (DPi, GTLM, GTD)
- WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, April 23-25 (DPi, GTLM, GTD, LMP2)
- Mid-Ohio Sports activities Automotive Course Might 14-16 (DPi, GTD, LMP3)
- TBA (Belle Isle, Detroit) (DPi, LMP2, GTD Dash Cup)
- Sahlen’s Six Hours at The Glen, June 24-27 (DPi, GTLM, GTD, LMP2, LMP3)
- Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, July 2-4 (DPi, GTLM, GTD, LMP3)
- Lime Rock Park, July 16-17 (GTLM, GTD)
- Street America, August 6-8 (DPi, GTLM, GTD, LMP2, LMP3)
- Virginia Worldwide Raceway, August 20-22 (GTLM, GTD)
- Motul Petit Le Mans at Street Atlanta, October 6-9 (DPi, GTLM, GTD, LMP2, LMP3)