IMSA confirms GTD Professional rules
Regardless of contemplating making adjustments to the well-defined GT3 rule set to accommodate its upcoming pro-themed substitute for GT Le Mans by permitting customized tires, extra energy, much less weight, and different performance-related differentiators, IMSA has chosen to stay with the identical technical rules for GTD and GTD Professional.
“It was vital that we labored in lockstep with our producers and tire companion to develop the GTD Professional ruleset,” stated IMSA President John Doonan. “Our IMSA technical crew was thorough in its evaluation and the tip end result permits us to chart a profitable course for the way forward for factory-supported GT racing in GTD Professional versus the client racing nature of the GTD class.
IMSA additionally outlined the technical commonalities and the sporting variations between the 2 classes.
GTD Professional/GTD technical platform and tires
• Widespread FIA-GT3 specification for each lessons and customary gasoline from VP Racing Fuels, IMSA’s official gasoline companion.
• Each lessons will use the single-specification Michelin S9M tire at present used this 12 months within the GTD class for the 2022 season. This together with the usage of the shared FIA-GT3 platform will scale back improvement prices for each producers and buyer groups. IMSA and Michelin will announce a longer-term answer for 2023 and past at a later date.
GTD Professional/GTD Stability of Efficiency (BoP)
• GTD Professional and GTD will use the identical, data-driven Stability of Efficiency course of, which is an extension of IMSA’s present course of.
• As GTD Professional is geared towards factory-supported groups and drivers, on-track efficiency ranges achieved by the GTD Professional class is predicted to exceed that of the GTD class. For that reason, the BoP for every class shall be managed independently.
• GTD Professional will undertake present GTLM Sporting Laws on driver rankings, qualifying, grid placement and race procedures. GTD Professional automobiles will use crimson quantity panels and position-indicator LEDs. GTD Professional automobiles shall be required to start out the race on qualifying tires or face a penalty versus GTLM, which allowed groups to make use of any tires from their allocation with out penalty.
• GTD will stay as it’s at the moment with the identical necessities for Bronze- or Silver-rated drivers to be included in crew line-ups, qualifying, grid placement and race procedures. The identical qualifying procedures launched in 2021 which require a Bronze- or Silver-rated driver to set the crew’s beginning place adopted by a compulsory driver change and a second qualifying session to earn qualifying factors will stay in impact.
• GTD Professional will undertake the identical testing limitations as the present GTLM class, which permits for eight days of testing. The GTD class will proceed to be capped at 4 days, though Bronze drivers could have unrestricted check days with IMSA approval. Wind tunnel and straight-line testing is prohibited in GTD.