Cindric makes historical past with Xfinity win on Daytona highway course
Austin Cindric’s summer time of dominance continued Saturday afternoon within the inaugural UNOH 188 NASCAR Xfinity Sequence race on the Daytona Worldwide Speedway highway course.
The 22-year-old earned his fifth victory within the final six races, his No. 22 Crew Penske Ford pulling away to a hefty 7.108-second win over Brandon Jones’s Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota within the closing laps. That giant margin of victory, nevertheless, is just not indicative of NASCAR’s action-packed debut on Daytona’s famed highway course.
Noah Gragson completed third, recovering from an off-course tour early within the race whereas main to keep up his excellent report of top-10 finishes on each Xfinity Sequence highway course occasion wherein he’s competed. A.J. Allmendinger and Andy Lally – each highway course specialists – completed fourth and fifth.
Jeremy Clement, Sunoco rookies Riley Herbst and Harrison Burton, veteran Justin Allgaier and rookie Myatt Snider rounded out the highest 10 in well-earned, masterful drives to the end.
Allgaier and Allmendinger had phrases on pit highway after the race, the latter spinning Allgaier out of a top-five end within the closing laps. Allmendinger was apologetic after Allgaier, one other one of many collection’ prime highway course racers, approached him after the race to share his displeasure.
With no follow or qualifying and a lot of the Xfinity rivals fully new to the three.61-mile, 14-turn course, the race was a gradual dose of high-speed how-do-you-do. From over-ambitious restarts to missed corners figuring it out, there was motion from inexperienced to checkered flags.
“I’m unsure anybody was actually all that proud of their race vehicles, you recognize. Sadly I’ve the attitude of driving actually quick race vehicles at this observe,” stated Cindric, who has competed in three Rolex 24 at Daytona IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship races on the highway course.
“It’s an important credit score to my workforce, MoneyLion and the fellows. … That’s 5 wins on the yr, and clearly back-to-back now. I didn’t really feel like I drove my finest at this time however we executed there on the finish when it counted.
Cindric, who led 22 of the 52 whole laps, led the opening 16 laps of the race to earn the Stage 1 win, and he bookended the work by main the final 5 laps to assert his seventh profession Xfinity Sequence victory. His 5 wins (plus a second place) within the final six races ties a report held by the legendary Sam Ard since 1983.
Cindric’s chief rival – as has been the case all season – was fellow Ford driver Chase Briscoe, who led a race-best 26 laps on Saturday. Cindric and Briscoe placed on a grasp class of highway course dueling — notably within the second stage — with Briscoe, additionally a five-race winner in 2020, incomes the green-and-white checkered flag in that dash.
Their battle — at occasions contentious — continued till late within the race when Briscoe was taken out in a multi-car restart melee with eight laps remaining. Briscoe’s No. 98 Stewart-Haas Racing Ford suffered an excessive amount of harm to proceed and he was scored 29th – his worst end of the yr.
Equally, two different Xfinity Sequence championship contenders — Kaulig Racing teammates Justin Haley and Ross Chastain — concurrently suffered race-ending points. Haley was out with an off-course tour; Chastain suffered a mechanical situation. They completed 36th (Chastain) and 38th (Haley), their worst finishes of the season as properly.
With seven races remaining to set the 12-driver playoff subject, Cindric, Briscoe, Gragson, Jones, Burton and Haley all have assured their possibilities at a title with victories.
Brandon Brown, who suffered a troublesome 34th-place end on Saturday, holds the ultimate 12th place switch place within the driver standings, however is simply 28 factors up on Saturday’s sixth-place finisher Jeremy Clements.
NASCAR Xfinity Sequence Race – UNOH 188
Daytona Worldwide Speedway Highway Course
Daytona Seashore, Florida
Saturday, August 15, 2020
- (1) Austin Cindric, Ford, 52.
- (10) Brandon Jones, Toyota, 52.
- (3) Noah Gragson, Chevrolet, 52.
- (11) AJ Allmendinger, Chevrolet, 52.
- (6) Andy Lally, Chevrolet, 52.
- (18) Jeremy Clements, Chevrolet, 52.
- (15) Riley Herbst #, Toyota, 52.
- (9) Harrison Burton #, Toyota, 52.
- (17) Justin Allgaier, Chevrolet, 52.
- (27) Myatt Snider #, Chevrolet, 52.
- (8) Ryan Sieg, Chevrolet, 52.
- (19) Josh Bilicki, Toyota, 52.
- (22) Tommy Joe Martins, Chevrolet, 52.
- (34) Bayley Currey(i), Chevrolet, 52.
- (7) Michael Annett, Chevrolet, 52.
- (32) Jade Buford, Chevrolet, 52.
- (26) Kyle Weatherman, Chevrolet, 52.
- (24) Jesse Little #, Chevrolet, 52.
- (30) Scott Heckert, Toyota, 52.
- (33) BJ McLeod, Chevrolet, 52.
- (21) Stephen Leicht, Toyota, 52.
- (36) Matt Mills, Chevrolet, 52.
- (31) Kody Vanderwal #, Chevrolet, 52.
- (14) Josh Williams, Chevrolet, 52.
- (20) Mike Wallace, Chevrolet, 52.
- (25) Joe Graf Jr #, Chevrolet, 51.
- (16) Alex Labbe, Chevrolet, 50.
- (37) Brandon Gdovic, Toyota, Accident, 47.
- (2) Chase Briscoe, Ford, Accident, 46.
- (35) Bobby Reuse, Toyota, 46.
- (12) Preston Pardus, Chevrolet, Accident, 45.
- (28) Jeffrey Earnhardt, Chevrolet, 43.
- (29) Earl Bamber, Chevrolet, Accident, 41.
- (13) Brandon Brown, Chevrolet, Axle, 40.
- (38) Harold Crooms, Toyota, Brakes, 36.
- (4) Ross Chastain, Chevrolet, 34.
- (23) Daniel Hemric, Chevrolet, Accident, 14.
- (5) Justin Haley, Chevrolet, Suspension, 11.
Common Velocity of Race Winner: 81.894 mph.
Time of Race: 2 Hrs, 17 Minutes, 32 Secs. Margin of Victory: 7.108 Seconds.
Warning Flags: 7 for Eight laps.
Lead Modifications: 7 amongst 6 drivers.
Lap Leaders: A. Cindric 1-16;N. Gragson 17;C. Briscoe 18-31;J. Bilicki 32;C. Briscoe 33-44;B. Currey(i) 45;B. Jones 46-47;A. Cindric 48-52.
Leaders Abstract (Driver, Instances Lead, Laps Led): Chase Briscoe 2 occasions for 26 laps; Austin Cindric 2 occasions for 21 laps; Brandon Jones 1 time for two laps; Bayley Currey(i) 1 time for 1 lap; Noah Gragson 1 time for 1 lap; Josh Bilicki 1 time for 1 lap.
Stage #1 Prime Ten: 22,9,07,18,21,7,98,68,1,02
Stage #2 Prime Ten: 98,22,20,16,02,36,21,19,7,18