Ford to halt manufacturing of F-150, Bronco Sport resulting from chip scarcity
Jeff Kowalsky | AFP | Getty Pictures
Affected automobiles vary from the Ford Mustang and Escape crossover to the extremely worthwhile F-150 pickup and Bronco Sport SUV, the corporate confirmed following an inner memo of the plans that was obtained by CNBC.
“Our groups proceed profiting from our out there semiconductor allocation and can proceed discovering distinctive options to offer as many high-quality automobiles as attainable to our sellers and clients,” Ford mentioned in an emailed assertion.
Biden visited a brand new plant that can produce Ford’s upcoming electrical F-150 starting subsequent yr. It is related to Ford’s Dearborn Truck plant, which is considered one of two services that produce the full-size F-150 pickup.
The impacted crops are as follows:
- Chicago Meeting Plant in illinois shall be down the week of Might 31 and can function on a decreased schedule the week of June 7.
- Flat Rock Meeting Plant in Michigan shall be down the weeks of Might 31 and June 7.
- Dearborn Truck Plant in Michigan and Kansas Metropolis Meeting Plant in Missouri– truck line – shall be down the weeks of Might 31 and June 7 and can function on a decreased schedule the week of June 14.
- Hermosillo Meeting Plant in Mexico shall be down the weeks of June 21 and June 28
- Louisville Meeting Plant in Kentucky shall be down beginning the week of Might 31 by means of mid-July, which incorporates an already-scheduled summer season shutdown interval.
- Oakville Meeting Advanced in Canada shall be down the weeks of Might 31 by means of June 28.
- Ohio Meeting Plant will produce solely Tremendous Obligation Chassis cabs and Medium Obligation vans the weeks of Might 31, June 7 and June 14.
The cuts come weeks after Ford CEO Jim Farley warned buyers that the corporate anticipated to lose about 50% of its deliberate second-quarter manufacturing, up from 17% within the first quarter.
Ford expects issues from the chip scarcity to scale back its earnings by about $2.5 billion in 2021, the excessive finish of its earlier steering for the yr.