1000’s of recent drivers have by no means pushed at midnight
As much as 100,000 drivers are taking their sensible assessments yearly with out ever having pushed at midnight, the organisation says. Though 35 per cent of accidents involving a younger driver happen at evening.
• Finest vehicles for brand new drivers
The DVSA carried out a survey of 17,000 learners and younger drivers and located 17.5 per cent had no expertise of driving at evening, whereas an extra 22 per cent stated they’d spent lower than two hours driving at midnight earlier than taking their check.
Some 610,000 drivers aged 17 to 24-years-old took their sensible driving check between October 2018 and October 2019. Of those, as many as 106,000 might not have ever pushed at evening.
The DVSA is now advising learner drivers to take classes at midnight, in addition to apply driving at evening with their dad and mom or one other supervising grownup.
Mark Winn, chief driving examiner on the DVSA, stated: “DVSA’s precedence is to assist everybody via a lifetime of protected driving. It’s important that every one learners acquire expertise of driving at midnight, whether or not with their driving teacher or via personal apply.
“Recognizing hazards in diminished visibility is a talent constructed on expertise. The extra time a learner spends practising in several circumstances, the higher ready they are going to be for driving safely on their very own.”
Under are the DVSA’s prime ideas for driving at midnight:
- • Watch your velocity. You possibly can’t see as far forward when driving at evening. Hazards and weak highway customers could also be tougher to identify.
- • Ensure you can cease properly throughout the distance you may see to be clear.
- • Solely overtake for those who can see the highway will stay clear till you’ve completed overtaking.
- • Preserve your windscreen clear and clear.
- • Use full beam on unlit roads, however dip your headlights early sufficient to keep away from dazzling oncoming drivers.
- • Driving when drained tremendously will increase your threat of collision. Don’t start a journey if you’re drained.
Do you keep away from driving at midnight? Tell us your ideas within the feedback beneath…